Marissa Keller-Gusman, Business Development Manager, Syncfusion
Google Analytics won a thumbs up today from our panel of SEM experts – Michael Hubbard , CEO and Media Director of Media Two Interactive, Sally Lowery, Director of Demand Generation of Bronto Software and Mark Rockett, CEO at Rockett Interactive.
Google Analytics is free and open to all clients, making it their number one pick. Omniture was mentioned by Sally of Bronto Software as their preferred tool as it has a search center which ties the SEM efforts to their website and gives them a nice overview. The panel shared a few common mistakes to avoid in online marketing & SEO:
- Leaving your search campaigns on auto-pilot: You need to optimize them on a daily basis.
- Trusting Google: When setting up a campaign, if you leave all the check boxes selected, you are simply allowing Google to make the most money off of your account. It’s best to uncheck them when setting up your account.
- Not tracking well: It is very important to not just focus on the front-end, but on the back-end data to really understand your cost per lead, your cost per sale and track the whole process of a visitor moving across your website.
- Text mis-match: If your AdWords text ad text doesn’t match the text on the dedicated landing page, this can not only decrease conversion rates, it can also lower Google’s “Quality Score” of your ad.
- Click here: Instead of writing, “Click here” and having the “anchor text” (here in this example), it is better that the word is a keyword you would like to promote. For example, you could have the hyperlink be “Watch this TriangleAMA video” and have TriangleAMA be the hyperlink to the site.
Overall, the panel shared useful insights into search engine marketing, a very critical topic today in marketing. We hope to welcome them back next year.