Kiersten Williams is Director of Collegiate Relations at Triangle AMA, and Director of Strategic Communications at Walk West, a digital marketing, public relations and communications agency.
When you think of “marketing”, what comes to mind?
Whatever you just said to yourself in your head (or out loud – we don’t judge), you’re probably right. Marketing is any strategy aimed to raise awareness and persuade people to do business with you. Regardless of your Marketing/Sales, Advertising, Communications, Public Relations, Video Production or Design major, if you are *creative* in ways that effectively *reach* people and incite them to action, you’re a marketer.
OK, so, you’ve got this strategic superpower. Now what?
Triangle AMA’s Marketing Jam Competition is the perfect place for Triangle and Piedmont university students to flex those creative muscles and participate in an interactive, real-world simulation by addressing a business problem with a marketing solution. Working in teams of 4, students will have up to 48 hours to develop a presentation and submit collateral, pitching their creative solution to the business issues presented by their designated client.
The kicker? If you’ve got creative ideas that have the potential to reach past typical human barriers, then you’re our ideal applicant. Your individual talents (digital design, website development, writing ad copy, blogging, social media, video production, advertising, communications, and PR) do not restrict your success in this endeavor. Having balanced teams of 4 participants means you’ll be paired with 3 other university students who will round out your team’s overall skill set, and give everyone the chance to excel in their particular marketing or creative superpower.
- Join a team of creative peers selected from Triangle & Piedmont universities.
- Receive guidance from a team mentor (current marketing professional).
- Meet the client to learn about the actual business challenge and get access to supplementary documents.
- Spend an action-packed, 48-hour collaboration weekend (February 23-25, 2018) prepping your campaign together with your superstar team.
- Wow the attendees at the High Five Conference on February 28, 2018 in Raleigh, NC with your team’s prize-winning marketing solution.
Interested students should complete and submit the application by December 1, 2017 at 12:00 PM EST. Accepted applicants will be notified by January 5, 2018. Upon acceptance, students will have seven days to confirm competition participation. Final competition participants will then receive further details on the client, dates and locations.
Competition Perks & Awards
- $2,000 for winning team
- Attend a professional marketing conference
- Network with professionals and students in a growing business community
- Build tangible skills to strengthen your resume
- Gain relevant experiences for your professional background
- Participate in the AMA Triangle Mentor Program
- Undergraduate university students in the Triangle & Piedmont
- The competition is open to the following majors:
- Public Relations
It’s time to turn the fruits of your labor into jam. Marketing Jam, that is.