December Luncheon: Don’t Hire That Research Person – Best Practices for Managing Market Research in Mid-Market Companies
Market research can be an engine of growth or a bottleneck that slows speed to market — it depends on how you manage it. All too often mid-market companies ($100 million to $2 billion in sales) employ a big-company model for managing the market research function, resulting in bottlenecks and bureaucracy, with business leaders becoming disconnected from research findings.
Join market research leader, innovator and contrarian Scott Seidewitz as he draws from 17+ years working with mid-market and large corporate clients to share best practices for managing insights in your organization. He’ll address key issues such as:
- At what point does a company achieve the scale to hire dedicated market research staff, and what are the alternatives?
- What is the right skill set to manage market research in a mid-market company, which can be very different from a large corporate environment?
- What research best practices will help accelerate growth without creating bottlenecks?
- How can mid-size companies create a culture of insights that is an advantage vs. larger competitors?
Whether you’re in senior management, marketing leadership or the research function, you’ll enjoy this provocative presentation that challenges the conventional wisdom for managing market research. Scott’s recommendations are actionable, focused on accelerating growth and can be tailored to the specific needs of your organization.
Objectives + Takeaways
By attending this luncheon, you will learn:
- Challenges mid-market companies face in deciding when (and whether) to establish a centralized market research department to support growth.
- Why the model of a strong, centralized research function used at large-cap companies often backfires for mid-size companies, distancing business leaders from the customer and slowing speed to market.
- Best practices for creating a strong insights-driven culture that will be an advantage vs. larger competitors—without the bureaucracy and overhead of a large research department.
Featured Speaker: Scott Seidewitz — Founder & Principal, The Seidewitz Group
If you want to grow your company, beware what your market research consultant tells you – and your customers, too. That’s the message Scott Seidewitz has been telling clients for the past 16 years as principal of The Seidewitz Group.
A graduate of MIT, an ex-P&G branding expert and a former political activist, Scott has never shied away from challenging the conventional wisdom. With a sharp business perspective and deep understanding of market research best practices, Scott specializes in showing how conventional research often inhibits innovation and growth, rather than enabling them. His recommendations on what business leaders can do about this are both provocative and common sense. Scott’s also an innovator in applying the science of memory and motivation to marketing, showing how consumers often don’t know the reasons for their own behavior. Using straightforward techniques from the brain sciences, The Seidewitz Group helps clients understand and capitalize on the unspoken drivers of purchase behavior.
Scott works with Fortune 500 companies, mid-market firms and late stage venture-funded startups. Clients include Merck, Teva Neuroscience, Boston Scientific, Align Technology (makers of Invisalign), AliBaba, Intel and Intuit.
December 13, 2018 - December 13, 2018
11:30 am - 1:00 pm
Brier Creek Country Club (ONLY 10 Min. from RDU)
9400 Club Hill Drive
Raleigh, NC 27617
Early Bird Member pricing: $30
Regular Member pricing: $40
Early Bird Guest pricing: $45
Regular Guest pricing: $55