THE TRANSFORMATION ~ 2.12.19
On February 12th the AMA’s National Support Center will be transitioning to a new technology platform featuring a redesigned website (ama.org), dues structure, member and chapter resources. From 8pm CT on January 31 through 11:59pm CT on February 11, members will not be able to access AMA Support Center data or make any ama.org transactions.
The blackout period will not impact the AMA Triangle website (amatriangle.org).
Membership types, flat fee dues structure, expiration date/membership term, and Group Membership policies will be transformed and simplified. Below are notable new details in these areas.
The redesigned ama.org will deliver an improved user experience, including basic personalization and better functionality.
The Community area of ama.org is where customers and members of AMA communities can connect with one another and get answers to their questions about the AMA. Key areas of the AMA community area are:
- My Groups: This area offers Salesforce chatter groups where like-minded individuals can communicate and collaborate with one another.
- Get Help: This area is comprised of Salesforce knowledge articles that deliver information and resources related to AMA memberships, products, and services. Visitors can quickly find answers to their common questions using keyword search
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Blackout Period and Launch
The blackout period will begin at 8:00pm CT on January 31 and continue through 11:59pm CT on February 11th.
During the blackout period, changes cannot be made to AMA Support Center (ama.org) data. This includes a freeze on membership registrations and renewals, national product purchases like conference registrations and updates to member profile contact info. These pages on ama.org will display a message informaing visitors about the blackout and providing them with an option to receive a special follow-up email once the functionality becomes available. Other sections of ama.org will continue to be accessible and functional during the blackout period.
AMA Customer Service
To facilitate prioritization of member inquiries, two new contact emails are available for member service and inquiries:
Membership Types & Pricing
All membership types will be consolidated into two types: Members and Student Members.
Dues: One simple flat rate. The typical 1-year Member rate will be an annual charge of $300. Student Dues will remain unchanged. The typical 1-year Student Member rate will be a one-time charge of $50 + chapter dues. Upon graduation, Student Members will continue to receive a discount code giving them 1 free year as a Member.
The term of Membership will change to rolling. Rather than expiring at the end of the month which you join, your membership will expire on the exact day one year later. If you join on January 10th, your membership will expire on January 9th the next year. Both the $30 application fee AND the 30-day grace period will be eliminated. Your membership will lapse on the expiration date.
Members will have two Community types to choose from-Professional Chapter or Academic Community (all Academic SIG’s, with one designated as the primary SIG).
Members can add additional Communities beyond their Home Community for an additional cost.
Student Members will remain unchanged. Student Members will continue to have the option of joining any Professional Chapter of their choosing and paying the student dues rate set by that chapter.
Group Discount Program
A new Group Discount Program will replace the current Group Membership Program. A group will consist of 3+ memberships paid for by a single user and will be available to Members for 1-year memberships. Student Members and multi-year memberships will not be eligible.
Group Pricing will be for one year:
- Groups of 3 to 9: $255 per individual.
- Groups of 10+: $225 per individual.
- Groups of 50+: Can contact AMA Customer Service to discuss pricing options.
Group Discounts will be purchased online by a Group Contact.
- Upon purchase, the Group Contact will receive a group code to distribute to all the individuals in the group.
- The group code will be valid for 30 days after purchase and cannot be used for more than the number of memberships purchased.
- Each individual in the group must register for membership online and enter their group code in the “promotional code” box to pay for the memberships.
- No refunds will be issued for unused Group Discount memberships.
The term of membership for each individual in the group will begin on the day he/she registers using the group code; each Member’s term will expire one year later.
Group Contacts can add additional individuals to the group at a later time by contacting AMA Customer Service.
Memberships purchased as part of the Group Discount program will be owned by each individual Member. Each Member retains his/her non-transferable membership until expiration. An employer purchasing a Group Discount cannot take a membership mid-term from one employee and give (or transfer) it to a different employee.
Each year, the Group Contact will need to purchase a new group code and distribute the code to all individuals in the Group. At this time the Group Contact can choose to change which individuals they would like to be part of their Group. If a Group Contact chooses not to distribute a new Group code to a specific expiring Member in the group, that Member could choose to renew their membership on their own at the regular rate without use of a Group code.
THE BEST OF AMA
You know that your membership is the key to unlock great value here at the local chapter level. You have experienced the amazing network, free or discounted access to events, the opportunity to volunteer and develop as a leader or get experience in different areas of marketing. But, are you taking advantage of expanded opportunities at the national level? Be sure to explore these resources available to you at ama.org:
- Discounts on becoming a Professional Certified Marketer®.
- Best pricing for national AMA conferences, trainings and events.
- 100+ ready-to-use downloadable tools and templates.
- Access to exclusive content and a subscription to award-winning Marketing News Magazine. Digital access to all AMA Academic Journals-Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of International Marketing, and Journal of Public Policy & Marketing. This is where our young professionals, experienced marketers and academics, go to find ideas for presentations, speaker topics, and research.
- Live webcasts and access to hundreds on-demand webcasts and podcasts on the latest marketing topics.